Friday, August 31, 2012

Daily Briefing for Friday, August 31, 2012

By The Numbers

I'm pulling the trigger on a major storeable food purchase this weekend.  I've mentioned in the past I've talked to the folks at both eFoods Direct and Emergency Essentials.  I want to share the math I've come up with to give you additional info in the event you're thinking of making similar purchases.

The eFoods Direct numbers:

Cheesy Chicken Casserole
  • 170 calories/$
  • 4.8g protein/$

Vegetable Beef Stew And Mashed Potatoes
  • 209 calories/$
  • 4.8g protein/$
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
  • 143 calories/$
  • 2.7 g protein/$

Now, compare those to bulk staples and bulk buys from Emergency Essentials:

Hard Red Wheat
  • 1,740 calories/$
  • 67.7 g protein/$
ABC Soup Mix
  • 319.2 calories/$
  • 18.24 g protein/$
Freeze Dried Ground Beef
  • 58 calories/$
  • 9.7 g protein/$

The eFoods Direct products are great - they taste great and are easy to prepare.  But you clearly pay a stiff premium for that convenience.  For about $500, I can buy enough red wheat to provide my basic caloric and protein needs for a year.  I'd be spending far more than that at eFoods or other purveyor.

Don't get me wrong - there are times and situation where the "just add water" solution is needed, and that's where a product like eFoods and Mountain House shine. 

One other thing I should let you know - Emergency Essentials is back ordered on a number of food items.  It appears people are stocking up.  If you need to add to your reserves, this is a good time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment