Friday, September 14, 2012

Daily Briefing for Saturday, September 15, 2012

Standing Corrected

Today, I met some former co-workers for lunch.  We got into a discussion of the economy, and one of them pointed out that our national debt has exceeded our GDP in years past - namely, right after World War II.  This was news to me, as I read a while back that we'd never been to this point in our country's history.

So I got home and researched it myself.  Turns out my friend was absolutely correct, as you can see in the various charts found here.  And I didn't choose that link just to dump on Paul Krugman.  I did choose it because the second graph in that link is most alarming, showing all private and public debt compared to our GDP.

But the charts aren't the message here.  The message here is that I was wrong, and my friend was right.  While nobody likes to be wrong, I appreciated the opportunity to learn something today about our economy's history.  As I told my lunch crowd over email later on in the day, it's not about having an opinion at the end of the day - it's about finding the truth.  It's my hope for you and myself that we never stop questioning our own understanding and knowledge of things, always evolving, always thinking, always learning something new. 

It's not always a pleasant process.  But to be prepared for the future, it is a necessary one.

I Hope You Are Making The Most Of The Month Of Preptember.

September is National Preparedness Month - or as some are calling it, "Preptember."

Here's a fantastic suggested action list you can do this weekend if you're new to this.  Even your kids could pull this one off, while having fun in the process.

Girls And Guns

Miranda shared with me some really great links on YouTube on handgun selection and concealed carry from a woman's perspective.  In addition, the same presenter talks about the M&P compact as a good choice for her.  There's a lot of good info here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment