Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Daily Briefing For Tuesday, January 1, 2013

All Is Quiet On New Year's Day

Like the iconic U2 song, all is indeed quiet today.  I'm cleaning the house and cleaning out closets, getting ready for the new year.  I wanted to update you on a few things.

Update On The Preparedness Conference

I've not been blogging much as of late in large part because the holidays were busy, AND I've been working to get the conference squared away.  I'm really pleased with our rosters of presenters.  We've seen a spike in registrations in the last two weeks.  While we still have room for other attendees, we will be approaching capacity soon at this pace.

Attendees who have pre-registered should be getting an email very soon with more information.  You can still sign up for the conference by clicking here.

Product Reviews

I have a couple of new toys I'd like to tell you about.  First up is my new Nutrimill.  It is a great way to make your own flour from your stored grains.  We made bread over the holidays, and the Nutrimill did the hard work.

I did have one glitch - the bowl that catches the flour wasn't seating correctly into the frame.  After multiple attempts to fix it, I ended up calling the customer service number - on December 26.  Once I saw they were located in Utah, I knew they'd be at work the day after Christmas.  And they were.

The customer service guy gave me a temporary fix and is shipping me a replacement frame, no questions asked. Needless to say, I am very pleased with their customer focus.

Next up is my newest flashlight - the Streamlight Pro Tac HL.  This little flashlight cranks out a whopping 600 lumens of light.  There's even a warning on the label advising against using the strobe function if you are susceptible to seizures. 

My only complaint about the light is the switch function.  To put it into strobe mode, you have to push the button twice very quickly.  I prefer the way my Fenix light works in that regard.  On the other hand, the Streamlight is programmable.  I will experiment with it in the coming days.

The Streamlight will run you about $60 on eBay.  Well worth it, based on my limited experience.

And Finally, A Not So Positive Review

I'm very frustrated with eFoods Direct.  I ordered a month's supply just after Thanksgiving.  To date, no food.  No response from them either, despite the fact I sent them a message through their website.  I called them on December 21 for an update and was told they were behind in their shipping, but that my order would go out December 26.  Here we are, a week later, and still no food.

To make things worse, they billed my credit card they day I placed my order - a month later, I still don't have my product. 

I left a complaint on their Facebook page yesterday.  We'll see how they respond.  I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment