Monday, May 6, 2013

Daily Briefing for Monday, May 6, 2013

On Television Tonight Talking About Prepping

Well, if I hadn't outed myself sufficiently before now, I did it in a big way on the 10 o'clock news this evening.  KEYE ran this story, featuring yours truly.

I'm sure a number of you are wondering why I'd go on television and provide details about my plans, violating every OPSEC rule in the book.  The truth of the matter is that I'm quite open about my efforts.  Many, many years ago, I decided to be out and proud so to speak.  There were plenty of folks who were both extreme and vocal in their preparedness efforts.  I felt like there should be someone who lived like I lived - in the 'burbs, with a normal job, with regular responsibilities - encouraging others to prepare.

For those of you who aren't sold on my strategy yet, think of it this way.  After a two to three week emergency - like a post-hurricane environment - if you're still able to function in your own home, people are going to rapidly pick up on the fact you stocked up, especially if they didn't.  No one seems to get that point: by being prepared in a grid down environment, you will invariably out yourself.

Whether to be open about your efforts is a personal choice, and I respect those who do so quietly.  I understand their concerns.  Hell, I may be wrong for outing myself in the end.  But someone has to take the lead here, set an example, and show the world that you can be prepared and not live in a buried shipping container 80 miles west of No Where, Texas.

One final note - the reporter was fantastic and really took the story seriously, and for that I will always be grateful.  This is a credit not only to her professionalism and objectivity, but also to the fact that prepping is becoming more mainstream now.  We are the trendy ones now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment