Friday, August 30, 2013

Daily Briefing For Friday, August 30, 2013

Weekend Data Dump

My September presentation calendar looks a lot like this:

  • September 6: Chapel presentation at my high school alma mater on risk management and personal preparedness.
  • September 7: Assist Caleb Causey of Lone Star Medics with a Student Responder Training class at said high school.
  • September 8: Co-teach Force on Force and Intro to Tactical Medicine with Caleb for members of the staff and alumni of said high school.
  • September 14: Teach the new and improved, 4 hour CHL class format for the first time.
  • September 26: Speak at the FLASH conference in Austin on disaster mitigation legislation.
  • September 30: Two presentations that day at the annual Texas Association of Mutual Insurance Companies meeting  - one on the 2013 legislative session and the other on an introduction into insurance regulation and legislation.
And I almost forgot - today I agreed to lead a high school bible study at my church once a week through the end of December, in addition to the weekly Sunday School discussion I lead.

Needless to say, I need to get busy on these.  And I intend to do so over the long holiday weekend, all while detoxing for what seems to be the fiftieth time to wean myself off of caffeine and diet sodas.

So tonight, I'm going to give you some food for thought for the weekend and let it be, touching base next week with you.  Of course, if we begin to experience fallout (literally or figuratively) when we start punching large holes in the Syrian terra firma as early as this weekend, I will get back on frequency.  Because I know you will all be dying to hear what I have to say.

This Is The Reason I've Started Doing Daily Accountings Of My Handguns' Whereabouts

Ted Nugent's wife recently got the opportunity to answer the age old question: what happens when you inadvertently carry a gun through airport security?  If you're like me and you have multiple handguns that you regularly use for self defense purposes, choosing different guns depending on how you plan to carry that day, it's quite conceivable you'll leave a gun in your briefcase or gym bag or wherever.  A while back, I instituted a strict daily accountability regimen whereby I had to have all guns in the gun safe before going to bed; I don't allow guns to be stored in my vehicles, by my bedside or in any other container.  And before I leave the house for a trip involving an airline, I verify again that all guns are secure in the safe before leaving.  The last thing I want is to forget I have a gun in my carry ons.


The Labor Participation Rate Continues To Dwindle

We are now at a 34 year low in the labor participation rate.  Now before you folks get all excited and start yelling at me that the decline is caused by retiring baby boomers, check out what your New York Times had to say about that in the link above:

If the decline stemmed largely from an aging work force, it would be much less worrisome. But the initial wave of baby-boomer retirements plays only a small role in the drop; the labor force participation rate has fallen almost as sharply for people aged 25 to 54 as it has for the overall adult population.

Are you concerned how this will affect the economy and our country long term?  I am.


"I'll Pack The Dead Batteries."

You'll be seeing PSAs like this in September during National Preparedness Month.  It's a humorous attempt to get people to start preparing.  Let's hope it works.


Can You Make Your Own Laundry Detergent?

My childhood friend Kelly went all Pinterest recently and made her own laundry detergent.  When the zombies come, her family's clothes will be fresh and clean. 

We all have skills we can use to be better prepared.  In addition to being a pharmacist, her detergent making skills will make her the envy of not only the pill seekers but also the suburban moms who have run out of clean panties.

Find your preparedness skill set.  Post your efforts to Pinterest (ONLY if you're a woman; real men don't use Pinterest.  Ever.) or to Facebook.  Share your knowledge where you can.


National Preparedness Month Means DEEP DISCOUNTS On Stuff!

Brian reports Karst Sports is promoting a great deal on Mountain House storeable foods.  Check it out.

1 comment: