Monday, August 12, 2013

Daily Briefing For Monday, August 12, 2013


“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”     --William A. Ward

I saw this quote below the signature block of someone with whom I was corresponding via email today.  I thought it very fitting, given my recent missive on how I can report on gloom and doom and not be depressed.

Back in high school, a friend asked me if I was an optimist or a pessimist.  Without hesitation, I said "I'm a realist."  To me, the glass is neither half empty nor half full.  It's at 50% capacity.  If you're wanting it to be full, that may not be optimal.  But if you'd prefer that the glass have some available capacity, a half empty glass may be exactly what you need.

Preppers are not pessimists, despite many assertions to the contrary.  A pessimist would merely complain about things and do nothing to mitigate the risk or even to try to take advantage of a given situation.  We look at our current and future situation, take steps to prepare for what might happen, and then hope for the best.  There's nothing complex about it.

We have to stop thinking in terms of optimism or pessimism.  Play the hand dealt you.  Hedge your risk by having some emergency supplies.  Look for ways to use your preparedness efforts to your advantage.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment