Tuesday, October 18, 2011

SDS Daily Blog for Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

A few years back, I tried to take an honest inventory of the areas in my life needing improvement.  Charity came in fairly high on the list.

I've made some good strides in this regard.  I will admit it's easier to be charitable when you find causes you are very passionate about.  And so I enjoy supporting not only my church and other ministries, but also animal shelters, Heifer.org, and my alma maters.

Even then, I try to focus on specific projects or areas where I want my money to go.  And so when my high school purchased an emergency siren to alert the school of severe weather or an active shooter situation, I knew I needed to do what I could to help fund it.  After all, if donors can put their names on buildings, endowed teaching chairs, and football stadiums, then you ought to be able to put your name on a siren as well. 

If you are into preparedness, think about ways to use your charitable giving as an opportunity to help others be prepared.


Should We Fear a Cyber Attack?

First, let me say this - I'm not a techie in any sense.  As long as my email and internet are working, and I can create the occasional Word or Excel doc, I'm good.  And so I don't always understand the nuances of cyber attacks, but I know enough to say it would suck if it happened. 

Tonight ABC is reporting computer viruses found in Europe show similarities to the Stuxnet virus used against Iran a few months back. 

What are you doing to protect yourself?  Aside from using a good antivirus and backing up my computer nightly with an external hard drive (I'm having a hard time embracing "the cloud"), I'm somewhat at a loss as to what we're supposed to do to prepare ourselves for that contingency.  If you know, please leave a comment below.

More Raping and Killing In The Forecast?

Vice President Joe Biden put on his Mel Kiper, Jr. wig and predicted more rapes and murders in our country if the jobs bill isn't passed.

Now, I'm not bringing this up to create political debate.  I mention this because anytime a President or Vice-President predicts violent crime will go up, it's newsworthy.  My question is - do you believe it?  And if so, what are you going to do about it to be better prepared?

No comments:

Post a Comment