Sunday, October 30, 2011

SDS Daily Update for Sunday, October 30, 2011

31 inches of snow.  3M people without power.  50+ wind gusts.  Two deaths.  Still need a reason?

This weekend's freakish storm up in the Northeast should give us all food for thought.  Just because a particular peril isn't supposed to be an issue during a given time of year doesn't mean we shouldn't prepare for it.  I'm betting most of those three million people are wishing right now they had better preps than they had. 

Don't be those people. 

Emergency Essentials Powdered Milk - $2.92 per gallon, mixed

I like doing business with Emergency Essentials.  I find their products are competitively priced and of high quality.

One of my recent purchases, a "Superpail" (not an average pail, mind you) of instant milk cost me $130 for 29 pounds of powdered milk.  I did the math and found I'm buying milk at less than $3 a gallon.  When we buy non-organic milk at our grocery store, this is about what it costs us.  Plus we have the added convenience of not ever running out of milk.

I hasten to add I am the only one in the house that drinks it.  The rest of the family says they'd drink it during grid down operations, but only then.  Personally, I find it tastes better than what we buy at the store.

I've Started Reading Pat Buchanan's New Book

"Suicide Of A Superpower" goes far past lamenting the Balkanization of the U.S., raising the question "Will America survive to 2025?"  My ninja-like math skills deduce that's only 14 years away.

After reading his "Day of Reckoning," a gift from my father, I concluded Buchanan had some interesting ideas about the future of our country.  His vitriol for Bush 43 in that book clearly crossed the line of objectivity, diminishing otherwise what I thought was a well crafted argument for smaller government. 

I will be curious to read what he thinks about our future, given that is going on in the economy and geopolitics.

2 comments:

  1. We had about six inches here yesterday and lost power for about two hours. It was a nice short practice run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Buchanan was on Coast to Coast talking about this book last week.

    ReplyDelete