Sunday, October 9, 2011

SDS Daily Update for Sunday, October 9, 2011

STRATFOR Reporting Outbreak Of Violence In Cairo


According to Stratfor this afternoon, demonstrators fired at soldiers in Cairo.  "Coptic Christian protesters clashed with pro-government forces Oct. 9, killing at least 23 people and injuring 180."  From their bulletin: "Given elections scheduled for November, and the apparent magnitude of the violence, it would appear that this event is highly significant. We expect details and analysis to evolve as the events unfold."


U.S. markets will not be closed tomorrow for Columbus Day.  I'm interested to see how this affects oil prices. Before this story broke, Saudi oil chief Khalid Al Fahid told the Wall Street Journal that Saudi Arabia did not plan to increase production as previously planned.


Suburban Dads care because Suburban Dads drive....Suburbans.  And pick up trucks.  And other gas guzzlers (my current ride is a big ass Toyota Tundra 4x4.  Made in Texas.  By Texans.  For all Americans.)  In addition to possibly destabilizing the oil markets, this story clearly indicates Arab Spring is still in bloom.  More geopolitical analysis will follow in the coming days.

Rainwater Collection In Full Effect


The Texas rains overnight put enough rain water into my five new (to me) water barrels so that they are now 60% full.  So as of right now, I have approximately 275 gallons of water ready to go for garden watering or any other water need for that matter.  Of course, the water isn't crystal clear - by a long shot, but it's nothing a pre-filter, a bit of chlorine and a Berkey water filter system can't turn into drinking water.


Speaking Of Chlorine...


I'm not sure how one starts a bleach fight in a WalMart, but apparently these folks do.  Yet another reminder that the Suburban Dad Nation needs to be vigilant at all times, because you never know when something this messed up can happen when you're in WalMart.  Then again...



And I've already berated my Baltimore-based sister-in-law who was apparently too freaking lazy to go to the WalMart that day and get implicated in a bleach fight.



This Week...


I'm on vacation this week, but I'm not heading anywhere exotic.  I will be staying here in town attending the certification class to teach the concealed handgun license course in Texas.  Four days in the classroom, half a day on the range.  We'll see how it goes.


I should have done this a long time ago.  I'm looking forward to helping people get their license to carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment