Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Daily Briefing For Wednesday, July 17, 2013

There's Reading, And There's Doing.

I'm sitting in a pizza joint in Los Angeles tonight, blogging on my iPhone.  Technology is awesome.

This is my first trip to L.A.  I am learning that the city is much different than what I've been told or read.  Traffic is bad, but it's not any worse than traffic in Miami or Houston.  There have been some unrest here over the Zimmerman verdict, but most of the city's residents seem focused on their everyday lives.  

Walking to dinner this evening, it occurred to me that many of my preconceived notions about Los Angeles were wrong.  In the end, we need to see and experience things for ourselves rather than accepting the conventional wisdom on face value.

I've been guilt of reading a lot about preparedness but not doing as much as I probably should.  Reading and doing your due diligence is important, but at some point you have to stop studying and start doing.  That's where the real learnings occur.

Experience things for yourselves.  Draw your own conclusions.  Don't simply rely on what others have said or written.  The conventional wisdom is often wrong.

And don't be afraid to stop researching and start doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment