Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Daily Briefing For Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Get Your Twerk On, Detroit Style

I'd never heard of twerking until last week when I was out in Los Angeles. The young lady sitting next to me in a class started talking about it, and when I asked what she was talking about, she promptly took out her iPad and pulled up a YouTube video to explain it.

And so tonight, I am sharing with you not one but TWO twerking videos.  WARNING: THE CONTENT OF THESE VIDEOS MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME VIEWERS.  VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.  And by the way - you're welcome.

My former colleague in the volunteer fire department, Jay, shared this video last night regarding the disastrous EMS system in Detroit.  The music playing in the background is so awesome I watched the video twice.  While I resisted the urge to twerk to the beat myself, you should feel free to so do while watching it.

This video is a prime example of what happens to emergency services in cities that are poorly run.  The city's recent bankruptcy won't help things.  Jerid shared the 411 with me, which paints a dire picture for Detroit:

"The current plan (for now rejected by creditors) means a 90% loss for muni-worker retirees, 81% loss for unsecured creditors, and a 75% loss for secured creditors."


So when I suggest to you that if you live in an area where the government is in financial straits that you need to take responsibility for your own well being, understand I'm not making that suggestion flippantly.  But don't take my word for it:

 





This PSA from the Milwaukee County, WI sheriff, David Clarke told his constituents that budgetary constraints means citizens will need to be proactive and, in essence, prepare to be their own first responders.

So tonight, think about what you need to do to be your own first responder until help arrives, even if your city is financially sound.  And don't hurt yourself while twerking.

No comments:

Post a Comment