Sunday, November 4, 2012

Daily Briefing For Sunday, November 4, 2012

Going Up Tempo

Sports commentators often say that when a team begins to play at a faster pace, it's calling going "up tempo."  This weekend, I went up tempo on my preparedness efforts.

The time change weekend has traditionally marked the beginning of my personal winter weather preparedness protocols.  This weekend was no exception.  Propane bottles were refilled.  The truck received its major dealership service.  New Rain X windshield wipers were installed (and by the way - they totally kick ass - I cannot tell you how impressed I am with them.  WOW.)  Pantry and fridge were cleaned out and reorganized to make more room for the long term food stores.  I am delaying the replacement of back up batteries in the smoke detectors and weather radios until I make a run to the grocery store to replenish our stores.

I'd be lying to you if I said this week's election didn't play a role in motivating me.  That's not to say one candidate will rescue us from the brink.  But as I type this, we are just under 47 hours from having polls close on the east coast.  And that's when the fun begins.

Today in Sunday School, I led week two of a three week series I created from scratch entitled, "God, Politics and the Economy."  When we were finished for the day, I closed in prayer, thanking God that no matter who wins on Tuesday, we take great comfort knowing the Lord is still in control. 

We are not going to change our efforts based upon who is in the White House.  There is still much to be done.


More On Those Who Are Unprepared

The New England Journal of Medicine reports this sad statistic: "A recent study from a group of medical researchers found that blacks and Hispanics are about 30 percent less likely to be aided by CPR than white people, with the odds being the worst when it involves a black victim in a low-income black neighborhood." 

Couple that with the ongoing tragedy from Sandy.  FEMA ran out of drinking water and won't have any until Monday at the earliest.  Queens residents arm themselves in the post storm blackout from looters.  It's a complete goat rodeo there. 

This goat rodeo could have been mitigated in large part by people preparing themselves.  This is why it's so important that we study the aftermath of disasters like this - they are tragic laboratories of what we should expect in a similar situation. 

Pray for those folks tonight.  And learn from their experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment